- Band – ring of metal that is glued onto the tooth.
- Bonded Bracket – attachment bonded directly to the tooth.
- Archwire – removable wire that fits around the arch into the bracket slots.
- Ligature Wire – tiny wire that ties archwire into bracket.
- Elastic Ligature – plastic module that ties archwire into bracket.
- Door – when closed, keeps the archwire in the bracket (a new technology!)
- Hooks – used to attach elastics (rubber bands).
Problem: Loose Band or Bracket
Solution: The seal created by the cement (glue) has been broken. Call our office and schedule an appointment. If a band or bracket detaches from the wire, save it and bring it with you to your next appointment.
Problem: Broken Archwire or Headgear, Lost Ligature or Hook
Solution: These problems could cause the teeth to shift in the wrong direction and should be corrected as soon as possible. Call our office and schedule an appointment.
Solution: That’s the term for a wire that sticks out and causes irritation. Try tucking it in with the eraser part of a pencil. If that doesn’t work, dry it with a napkin and place wax over the wire to prevent further sticking.
Solution: To relieve any soreness, rinse your mouth with warm salt water and/or take Advil or Tylenol as directed.