Retainer Wear and Care
You retainer is a removable appliance that’s been designed to maintain your teeth in their corrected position. Please follow these Wear and Care instructions carefully.
- The retainers should be worn at all times unless your doctor gives you other instructions. Remove it only when you eat and brush your teeth.
- The retainer's plastic taste will disappear quickly, and your speech will return to normal after a few days of wearing it.
- Any soreness will dissipate in a few days, even after an adjustment. If you have a localized sore spot after three of four days, call us for an appointment.
- Don't flip the retainer with your tongue. This could damage you teeth.
- Clean the retainer by brushing it with soap and water; also, occasionally clean it with denture cleaner, using warm (not hot) water.
- When it's not in your mouth, keep the retainer in a special box given to you (not wrapped in a napkin or in your pocket).
- Keep the retainer away from pets.
- Bring the retainer to each appointment.